Head of Programme- Quality and Development
Fixed Term, 2 years
Full Time, 38 hours per week
VSO is the world's leading development organisation that works through volunteers to fight poverty. We are unique in the way we bring people together to share their skills and experience, generate insights and ideas and, most of all, take action against poverty and exclusion. It's a highly effective approach that works, and today is helping millions of people in some of the world's poorest communities lift themselves out of poverty.
To lead the high quality programme development and business development in VSO Nepal ensuring that VSO unique volunteering for development approach and People First is at the heart of all that we do; and, that we deliver sustainable change for, with and by our primary actors to end poverty and inequality.
Skills, qualifications and experience required
• Experience in integrated development programming including in Inclusive Education, Inclusive governance and Youth with a proven track record of developing programmes using participatory evidence-based programming approach as a practitioner and as a strategist. Experience and commitment to mainstream social accountability, resilience, social inclusion and gender approach in all areas of works.
• Thematic expertise in one or more of VSO’s programmes areas: education, governance, youth.
• Understanding of Nepal’s development issues, trends, social, economic and environmental context.
• Understanding and valuing the role of volunteering in development. Familiarity with diverse models of volunteer engagement and the volunteer journey – proven ability to leverage volunteer involvement to deliver social change outcomes.
• Experience of working with colleagues to utilize global organisational resources to advance country level programme strategies and deliver quality programming.
• Experience of preparing compiling documentation (concept notes, proposals, budgets, knowledge products, log frames, theories of change, etc.) for donors and partners.
• Experience of working effectively with M&E tools, frameworks, research and evaluation techniques
• Good leadership and people management skills. Proven track record of leading, developing, mentoring, coaching and capacity building a multi-cultural team to build a high performing team.
• Excellent communication skills both in English and local languages, including advanced familiarity with written, verbal and presentation approaches used in international settings – experience of leading and facilitating workshops and training
• Ability to be self-directed and take initiative within organisational mandates – strong administrative and organisational skills
• Experience leading on partnership and teaming agreements, sub-grant agreements, and consortia bid development
• Experience of understanding funding and partnership trends and working with teams to convert those into programme strategies that meet the needs of marginalized people
• Proven ability to research and assess new opportunities to realise significant restricted income
• Experience of establishing and cultivating strong relationships with targeted donors
• Proven track record in developing competitive proposals for funding from USAID, EU, and DFID.
• Ability to prioritise tasks, manage time and tight schedules, work effectively under pressure, and assist direct reports with prioritization of tasks.
• Financial Management – Proven ability to develop and monitor programme budgets.
• Representation and negotiation skills – Ability to negotiate and maintain relations with external stakeholders.
• Computer skills – MS Office, Outlook, and virtual office tools.
• Willingness to travel and spend time away from base/home as required.
• Good understanding of the Nepal context.
• Bachelor’s degree in social science or similar.
• Entrepreneurial mind set and comfort thinking outside of the box to address business development and programme quality challenges (for example, through social enterprise and private sector engagement).
Contract : National
VSO reserves the right to close this job early if we receive a sufficient number of applications.
How to apply
If you’re interested in applying for this role, please download the job description to read more details about the position and the skills and experience we’re looking for. To submit your application, click on ‘Apply now’ and complete all relevant fields on the online application form.
Application closing date
27 Jun 2017
July , 2017
Click here to download the job description in PDF format