Volunteer Team Leader
VSO Nigeria Programme Office (Nigeria)
VSO is the world’s leading independent international development organisation that works through volunteers to fight poverty in developing countries. Our high-impact approach brings people together to share skills, build capabilities, promote international understanding and action to change lives and make the world a fairer place.
VSO Nigeria is looking to recruit 4 Volunteer Team Leaders, who will support the Youth Programme Team in Pre-placement preparation, volunteer welfare and development support, monitoring and evaluation, programme planning and facilitation. THIS IS A VOLUNTEER POSITION, NOT PAID EMPLOYMENT.
These positions will be based in Lagos, Kwara, Osun and Abuja.
The objectives of being a volunteer Team Leader with VSO ICS are:
• To actively contribute to the delivery of a VSO ICS project
• Support VSO ICS volunteers with their personal development
• Continue to build on your own personal and professional development.
Skills, qualifications and experience required
• A passion for the role of young people in international development;
• A belief in the values of VSO;
• A full commitment to the three stages of ICS (pre placement, on placement, post placement)
• Self-motivated with the ability to work flexibly and on own initiative;
• Sensitive to the needs of others and committed to learning from an ICS placement.
• Experience of working and supporting young people from varying backgrounds;
• Ability to demonstrate leadership qualities
• Strong facilitation, communication and interpersonal skills
• Ability to plan logically, managing a varied workload and working environment ;
• Fluent written and spoken English.
• A basic understanding of development issues, e.g. poverty, advocacy, sexual health;
• Experience of working in a cross-cultural environment;
• Experience of working/ volunteering in a developing country
• Experience of managing resources (e.g. finances )
• Experience of coordinating and evaluating a project, programme or initiative
Previous participation in any of VSO Nigeria's Youth Volunteering Programmes (NGVP, NV-NYSC, ICS etc) will be an added advantage.
How to apply
If you’re interested in applying for this role, please download the job description to read more details about the position and the skills and experience we’re looking for.
To submit your application, click on ‘Apply now’ and complete all relevant fields on the online application form. Submit a cover letter demonstrating evidence of your suitability and your CV.
Application closing date
04 Aug 2014
Click here to download the job description in PDF format